Embrace Experience

1

Posted on : 10:42 PM | By : Aubrey | In : ,


I got my hair permed yesterday. I went to a local college where cosmetology students are able to work. My stylist was a young man and it was his first “real” perm. “Oh, dear,” I thought. It was my first perm too. That morning I was very nervous about getting my hair done. I had read up on perming hair online and the opinions were varied. Some said that your hair would immediately fall out and others said that it was the greatest thing you could do for your hair. It all depends on how one’s hair is. My hair, as I found it, was an okay candidate even with my home/box color.


I must say, I’m so glad that I went through with this experience despite my hesitation. I am loving my “new” hair and I think that it becomes me. While I was there, though, I was overwhelmed with negative thoughts. Everyone was very friendly, but I was still anxious about what they were thinking. They were ridiculous things, too. For example, I was thinking that they were thinking that I was silly for wanting a perm and disgusted that I hadn’t worn makeup that day and that I was, well, ugly. See? Ridiculous things.

Because I had to sit for quite a while (my hair took a LONG time to roll), I had a chance to mull over these thoughts. I realized how silly they were and how… hindered I was for having them. My negative thoughts were keeping me from enjoying my experience. This doesn’t just happen during special occasions like this either. This happens daily. It is a sad, awful waste of my time and energy. Worrying about what others are thinking should not take priority over my own thoughts or experience.

So, dear readers, I share my experience with you to invite you to take this lesson and apply it to your own lives. I think that many of us are insecure about letting go and, dare I say, having fun. Don’t be afraid to be yourself. Accept yourself for who you are – a unique human being. Enjoy life. Embrace experience.

Comments (1)

Great lesson, Aubrey! ^_^

And I love your new hair! ;)

Post a Comment