My friend Merry wrote a post a few days ago on how she was feeling burnt out on Christmas. She wrote that it wasn't a religious holiday anymore, but a commercial one which makes people believe that they need to buy, buy, buy. I’ve been thinking a lot about this lately, too. It really does seem very forced and commercial. While I know that I cannot change the actions of others, I have come up with a little list for myself to give a whirl next year.
-Handmade gifts: This forces me to think about what to make each individual. Handmade gifts are usually more heartfelt than random store-bought gifts. Also, I think that I can save a couple pennies by going handmade.
-Handmade Christmas cards: While I loved my Winnie the Pooh Christmas cards this year, I think that Josh and I should give handmade cards a go. It’ll be a nice couple activity for us. I also would like to personalize the Christmas cards a bit more than this year by including a little letter on our goings on.
-Meaningful ornaments: Josh and I will be married before next Christmas. We just purchased a lovely 6.5 foot Christmas tree for ourselves, but we don’t have ornaments yet. Instead of going out and buying a ton of starter bulbs, I think that we’ll be taking our Christmas tree slowly, year by year. I want our first ornaments to mean something that will bring memories each year when we’re trimming our tree together.
-A new life together also brings the need for new Christmas stockings for Santa to fill. <3 I plan on surprising Josh with handmade stockings next year. Now to find a pattern and fabric…
Do you, dear readers, feel similarly? What do you do to make Christmas more personable and less commercial?
Posted on :
9:30 PM
| By :
Aubrey
| In :
holiday
,
inspiration
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)

^_^ I'm glad I inspired you to write this post and to try and make things next year for Christmas!
I think your idea of slowly collecting your ornaments is a great idea! ^_^ My mom did that since we got our first fake tree, and I think it looks very pretty and more memorable. :)