As Christmas and my birthday draw closer, I have been feeling more and more alienated. I feel less than enthused about what should be an exciting, joyous time of the year. I’m lucky enough to have been born right before Christmas. This year, though, I have been so un-excited by everything. I think I’m “growing up,” as they say. Sigh.
I’m not happy about this change. I think that I need to rekindle my childlike spirit. Quickly! Are any of you feeling similarly? What have you done to remedy your situation?
Here are some tips and tricks that I will attempt over the next few days. Feel free to do so yourself and let me know how they work for you!
1. Sing Christmas carols. Loudly! One of my favorite Christmas movies, Elf, sums this up quite nicely: “The best way to spread Christmas cheer is singing loud, for all to hear.”
2. Watch old Christmas movies that you watched when you were a kid! I’m going to watch the old Rudolph movies soon as well as the Christmas Care Bears movie. Do you remember those? How about The Year Without a Santa Clause? Charlie Brown?
3. I think that one of the biggest “child-like” losses that some feel during Christmastime is the loss of TOYS for presents! Ask one of your loved ones for a fun toy that you wouldn’t normally ask for or buy for yourself, but would none-the-less enjoy. Better yet, treat yourself! Go through the toy aisle at the store next time and browse. Little knick-knack-y toys make great home or office/cubicle decorations.
4. Print out a Christmas coloring page and color! Get out your crayons and just enjoy the experience of coloring. I used to love coloring when I was a kid, so my mother tells me. Don’t you just love the smell of a new pack of Crayolas? What about the giant pack with the special colors? Here is a nice resource for printables.
5. Go sledding if you’re able to! Bring some friends and family members along! Stay out until your cheeks are pink from being cold and go inside to a nice, warm cup of hot cocoa! If you’re not able to go sledding, make some hot cocoa anyway. Get a candy cane to give it a Christmasy-minty flavor.
6. Put milk and cookies out for Santa. I'm sure he won't mind if you helped him eat 'em. He's got a lot of houses to visit. ;)
What are your ideas? What movies did you watch? Let me know!
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)

This is such a wonderful post! ^_^
Here are some old, *old* Christmas cartoons. :) My favorite is the one with Chip and Dale. ;D
We baked cookies and made candy and truffles for our frineds and relatives together! As long as you can cook together, it's a great way to get in the spirit. If you cna't, do it alone for someone you love.